Thursday, October 9, 2008

Cooking and updates

So Monday I decided I'd try cooking using the crock pot yet again. I've never actually put something in the crock pot, left for work, and let it do its thing. I know. I'm a freak. But, I decided it was worth a shot. So into the pot I threw pork chops (like 8 of them) and while last year I usually used chicken noodle soup, noodles aren't an option for me, so I went with a chicken and rice and vegetable soup. It was an organic soup that was new, by Wolfgang Puck. I came home, it smelled tasty. I was happy. Then, it was time for the true test, the taste test, about 2.5 hours later, when Joe got home.

Apparently...rice cooks away when left in a crock pot for about 10 hours. The wild rice curled up and reminded me of little snails. The white rice just kind of cooked away to nothing. All that was left was broth, carrots, 'snails', and pork chops. The overall taste wasn't horrible. It was just really bland. I need to get the seasoning thing down. I think next time I'm just going to use chicken broth, pork chops, and then about an hour before the food is done, I'll throw in some gluten-free noodles. I've got to think about the seasonings. Although a few days later, I'm not so sure. Joe wasn't too keen on the food. He says he doesn't like anything soupy. Even when we drained the broth away he just wasn't happy.

Tuesday I decided to branch out and cook tacos. I've never done that before. I chose to use turkey meat instead of beef. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't the greatest either. I have 3 containers of meat left over. And you all know how I feel about leftovers. Blech! I'm learning to like them, yes, but they totally aren't my thing! Wednesday we went out to eat. I wasn't in the mood to be creative with food.

Other news...Joe has become the hunter extraordinaire! I can't go into details, but let's just say that I'm quite impressed! Be sure to ask him what he's been doing. It's a fun story, and depending on the mood, it might include bad words! (Ok, it would from me, that's just me though!)

That's all the news on the home front. We're going biking on Saturday. I haven't actively been on a real bike (the exercise bike doesn't count) since college. Should be interesting. I'll let you know how that goes!

No comments: